Yesterday, I watched the movie Cloud Atlas for the second time. The idea of re-incarnation, of being given unlimited chances to make better decisions is compelling. If you are really open while watching this film, it will inspire you to be a more thoughtful person. The idea is that our connections in life exist beyond our current reality and time. That our actions have consequences that are innumerable and impossible to grasp. Most importantly, “Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others, both past and present, and only through their eyes can we truly know ourselves. By each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.”
When asked about kindness or generosity. When asked about why I give of my time and money; why I sometimes linger over my own words and actions, I explain that even the briefest touch, word or expression can change someone’s day and perhaps the course of their life.
We have all heard of the person who just snapped for no apparent reason. The quiet and considerate person who suddenly committs the most selfish act of taking another life. I believe that if we each take responsibility for our actions; especially our interactions with others, these moments of incomprehensible tragedy can be averted.
So here’s something to be mindful of this week:
- Smile instead of scowl when you make eye contact with a stranger.
- Respond politely to polite greetings.
- Choose your words carefully.
- Pay attention to your own emotions.
- Ask, why? Why do I think this? Why do I feel this? How will my actions impact another?
- Lastly, accept someone for who they are.
Happy Monday and may your week be one of inspiration and growth.
- Directors Commentary Intro
- Extended Trailer
- Sonera – Thomas Bergensen / Cloud Atlas Trailer Soundtrack
Categories: Professional Development