Being in the moment and listening to understand (and not reply) has been one of my growth points. My natural tendency is to prepare my statements, anticipate push-back and be ready with a persuasive reply. That approach makes it too easy to miss the nuances of a conversation.
Whether it’s micro-facial expressions, voice inflections or a nuanced choice of words., true engagement requires you to be in the moment, to actively listen, and ask the right questions in order to truly understand.
- 6 Levels of Engagement in Online Conversations (lateralaction.com)
- How to be Fully Engaged in Conversations (DanBlackonLeadership.com)
- Art of Now: 6 Steps for Living in the Moment (PsychologyToday.com)
- Micro-Expressions (Paulekman.com)
- Leading with Questions: How Leaders Find the Right Solutions by Knowing What to Ask (Amazon.com)