Here’s some great advice from Dan Rockwell of Leadership Freak on dealing with inflexible bosses:
- Adapt to them. They won’t adapt to you. No one likes to be changed especially an inflexible boss. They’ll lash out like caged animals if you pressure them.
- Admire their strengths and say so. Say, “Your personal consistency brings stability and consistency to our organization.”
- Accept, embrace, and answer their discomforts or fears. You’re crazy if you tell them it will be ok or things will work out.
- Give them time to mull things over. Don’t spring stuff on them.
- Establish rituals and routines. Avoid adding stress to their stressful lives.
- Employ the 3 to 1 rule. Say at least three positives for one negative.
- Get on their team. Help them succeed.
Bonus: prepare them for new ideas by talking about problems not solutions. Ask things like, “What are we losing if we don’t take action?”
Read the entire post by Dan Rockwell here.